Samuel's Adoption Story

Introducing Samuel! After lots of waiting, tears, and prayers, we are so excited to introduce you to our little boy! Below is a recount of the whirlwind of events that changed our family forever and brought our new son into our lives. 

On Sunday, Charlie packed his bags for a week long conference in Phoenix. "What if we get a baby this week?" I said. We talked for a second about how crazy that would be, but then brushed the conversation aside. We thought it was such an unlikely thing to occur. We had been waiting for the call since November, but knew that we could be waiting for a very long time. We weren't seriously expecting anything to happen any time soon and we certainly weren't expecting a call saying that our baby could come home the next day. We thought we'd have a little time to prepare and wait for our baby to be born.

On Monday, Charlie hopped onto a plane and flew to Arizona. Noah and I stayed behind with our normal routine. I stayed up way too late Monday night into the early hours of Tuesday morning talking to Charlie on the phone. A three hour time difference and the fact that we're hardly ever apart made for a late night. I woke up exhausted Tuesday morning and vowed to go to bed on time that night.

Noah had camp at his new preschool, so we were up and out of the house by 9. I made it down the street when my phone rang. A local phone number popped up on the phone. It was Christy, our adoption social worker from Bethany Christian Services. She asked how I was and then told me the good news, "We have a baby for you."

Instant tears. Our baby was a boy and was born on July 4th. He was ready to come home when we were ready for him. I was still driving Noah to school, through tears and excitement. I got off of the phone with Christy vowing to call her back as soon as I talked to Charlie and was back at home. We pulled into a parking space and called Charlie.

He had just gotten to Arizona. He was there long enough for dinner and a few hours of sleep when I called. "We have a baby! You have to come home!" We chatted for a few minutes and he got off the phone so he could work out the details on getting on the next plane to come home.

I called Christy back for more details. Our little boy was born July 4th, at 36 weeks. He was currently in interim foster care. Both birth parents had picked our family separately as their top pick. They had signed the adoption papers and our sweet baby was ready to come home as early as Wednesday.

I spent Tuesday shopping, washing clothes and diapers, on and off the phone with family, Charlie, and Christy and working out all of the details. It was a crazy day! We had spent months, years really, preparing for our second baby. I had saved most of Noah's clothes and we had tons of cloth diapers. I just needed to pull everything out and get ready. In less than 24 hours our baby would be home with us!

Tuesday night I took Noah out for a little Chick-fil-a date, soaking in every last second of my moments as a mom of one. We went to Kohl's and picked out a big brother shirt for him. We got milkshakes and snuggled before bed. It was bittersweet for sure.

Due to storms and last minute flight changes, Charlie didn't get back home until the wee hours of the morning on Wednesday. We hadn't had much time to talk between the chaos of Tuesday and him being on a plane most of the day. We needed to pick a name. I needed a hug. I was so overwhelmed with emotions and excitement.

On Wednesday morning, we drove across town to the adoption agency. When we walked into the room our little boy, Samuel, was there with the foster parents. He was so tiny, just 5 lbs. 2 oz., but he was perfect! Such a sweet little boy!

We spent the morning talking about Samuel with the foster family, learning about his last few weeks and getting to know this amazing couple that had been taking care of babies since 1980. We spent time learning as much as we could about Samuel's story and signing paperwork. Then we loaded our two boys, one big and one oh so tiny, into the car and drove home. Just like that we were a family of 4.

All of the waiting. The infertility. The tears. The impatience. It was all worth it. Samuel fits perfectly into our little life. We are adjusting to our new life with a newborn. It's exhausting. I had forgotten how exhausting it is to have a newborn.

Charlie is on paternity leave and Noah is out of school until the end of August. We're having lots of family time, all adjusting to this new life. Noah is a great big brother! He's adjusted very well to having Samuel here and doesn't appear to be jealous. Kal, our dog, on the other hand is having some jealousy issues and isn't quite sure what to think of a new baby.

We want to thank you all for your prayers and love! Your support as we went though years of infertility treatments and then even more love and support as we began our adoption journey is so appreciated! I can't wait to share what our life with two boys looks like. It will take me some time to find a new normal and to juggle my time, but I promise to share lots of pictures and stories soon!

Much love,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...